Event Category: Presentations/Discussions
Mexican Manners 101 Mini-Course, Pt. I
Friday, May 17
at 9 AM – 1 PM
1. Introductions & Questions
2. Conference Theme: 50ACG. Cold Gringos, Mexi-Gringos & Fringos.
3. Personal Manners Assessment & Group Discussion
What does “being polite” mean to you?
4. The Mexican Bow & Sacred Space
What is the meaning of bowing? When do I do it & with whom?
5. Salutations & Titles
BRUNCH BREAK 11- 11:30
6. Party Etiquette & Ordering Food
Time, requesting food, Buen Provecho, Splitting the check, To Go, Clean Plate Club, Tipping, nose blowing,
Where this Mexicanism originated & the 2 ways to use it today
8. When “Gracias” is inappropriate
How to respond when complimented on your material things & cooking
About your instructor: Michelle Garrison, originally of Seattle, Washington, has lived in central México since 2006 and holds a Master’s degree in Multi-Cultural Education from the University of Washington. Mother of three multicultural children, Garrison presently teaches Spanish, English & Mexican Culture courses, owns GARRISON & GARRISON BOOKS in San Miguel de Allende, trains teachers in Classroom Management methods; manages rental properties, & offers behavioral therapy in the form of personal coaching.
* Culture books are available for purchase at Mini-Course. Please fill out evaluation on the last page and turn it in at the end of the course.
How to Register