Event Category: Educational Workshops
Saturdays, 11:30 – 1:45 p.m.
All levels & genres – Drop-ins welcome
Author table to promote participants’ books & services
Hotel Quinta Loreto’s TV Salón
Calle de Loreto #15, Centro, San Miguel de Allende, Gto., Mexico
Between CFE & the Artisan’s Market,
to the left of the Mercado Ignacio Ramirez. Parking Available.
A weekly workshop for aspiring, practicing, and professional writers.
Saturdays, 2019-2020, 11:30 – 1:45 p.m.
All levels & genres – Drop-ins welcome
Author table to promote participants’ books & services. Bring your books to sell, business cards, promotional brochures.
Meetings are held Hotel Quinta Loreto’s TV Salón, Calle de Loreto #15, Centro, San Miguel de Allende, Gto., Mexico, Between CFE & the Artisan’s Market, to the left of the Mercado Ignacio Ramirez entrance. Free parking.
$0 pesos – locals are invited to attend a complimentary workshop
$250 pesos at the door or reserve a seat at www.DrSonna.org.
WEEKLY WORKSHOP AGENDA
Warm Up. Use a provided prompts or pursue a personal project during the free writing period.
Introductions. Indicate your main literary interest/s. If you are writing for publication, try your hand at a 30-second elevator pitch.
Words! Words! Words! A local or visiting writer, agent, editor, or other professional gives a presentation on writing technique, publishing, creativity, or the writing life.
- June 22 Different Strokes for Different Folks by Dr. Linda Sonna – Learn to soothe your muse & boost your creativity by tailoring your writing approach to your personality, temperament, biological clock, & lifestyle.
- June 29 A Rose by Another Name by Dr. Linda Sonna – Try these simple techniques for crafting descriptive passages to enhance artistry, add depth, & increase tension.
- July 6 Scene vs. Sequel: The Golden Ratios by Dr. Linda Sonna – How to balance these two little-known literary elements to enhance dramatic tension & pacing for different genres.
- July 13 Creating Compelling Characters by Dr. Linda Sonna – Talking ducks in children’s books, celebrity feature articles, travel pieces, memoirs, nature essays, even trade non-fiction books center around one or more characters. Learn how to introduce & develop major, minor, & helper characters.
- July 20 The Intuitive Collage as a Springboard to Creative Writing by Inez Theresa Andrews, M.A., International SoulCollage® Facilitator – From images that reflect your inner world, create a collage & use it as a basis for a poem or prose piece in this experiential presentation. Materials provided.
- July 27 Write Your Life by Julie Catton, M.S., Children’s book, ESL Textbook series author, & memoirist; and Linda Sonna, Ph.D., psychologist & author. Learn to overcome common problems when composing family stories and memoirs.
- August 3 From 10 Plots to a Zillion Stories by Linda Sonna, Ph.D. Learn the plot points of most every short story, screenplay, novel, memoir, & narrative non-fiction book ever written.
- August & Beyond Submit a presentation proposal to DrSonna.org.
Snack, Sip, & Socialize. Check out participants’ books, publications, & services at the Authors’ Table during the break. Vendors: Please bring receipts, change, a pen.
Sharing. Read a piece you have written, or have someone else read it for you. 10 minutes per read; feedback provided on request. For hands-on editing help, bring 5-10 copies & some pencils.
Caring. Solicit feedback, ideas, resources, & solutions for a specific writing issue, dilemma, or problem. 5 minutes maximum to present an issue.
Comida, Anyone? Network with other participants at the optional post-workshop lunch at the La Quinta Restaurant. Not included in the workshop fee.
Group Homepage https://www.drsonna.org/wordsmiths
Hosted by Dr. Linda Sonna, www.DrSonna.org
How to Register
Pay at the door or reserve a seat via www.DrSonna.org.
Fees: 250p MXN
Locals are invited to attend one session at no charge. Come check us out!